Another tourist attractions
The narrow-gauge railways of Jindřichův Hradec
In the year 1887, Jindřichův Hradec was linked, by means of the Bohemian-Moravian transversal railway, to an important track connecting Vienna and Prague. Ten years later, operation of the diverting 33 km narrow-gauge railway from Jindřichův Hradec to Nová Bystřice was started. A second narrow-gauge railway leading to Obrataň, in the length of 46 km, was opened on Christmas Eve 1906.
Steam engines are regularly dispatched in the summer months.
More information: www.jhmd.cz
Chateau of Kamenice nad Lipou
The construction of the original castle dates back to the 13th century, like that of the town. Following Gothic adaptations, the castle was rebuilt in the Renaissance style between 1580 and 1583. After the year 1744, the chateau acquired a Baroque appearance along with the present tower above the gate, and its present shape comes from the period 1806 – 1811, when the Prague citizen F. Rilke, the grandfather of the poet R. M. Rilke, had it rebuilt in the late Classicist style. In 1998 it was taken over by the Museum of Applied Arts in Prague, which launched its reconstruction which lasted until 2004, when the chateau was opened to the public.
Chateau of Stráž nad Nežárkou
The castle, originally built in the Gothic style, comes from the 2nd half of the 13th century and was built by the Lords of Stráž, who were members of the ramified noble family of Vítek. It was rebuilt into a Baroque chateau in 1715, and its appearance has not changed considerably to this day. The chateau is associated with the name of the world-renowned singer Emmy Destinn, who owned it from 1920 until her death in 1930. The chateau has been in private hands since 2002, and it got a lot of construction adaptations aiming at putting it into the state when Emmy Destinn used it.
Chateau of Žirovnice
The town that got its renown from the mother-of-pearl and button production is dominated by a vast complex of the mediaeval castle built in the 2nd half of the 13th century. It was given the shape of a chateau in the late 15th century. At the turn of the 18th century the whole complex was repaired after vast damage brought about at the end of the Thirty Years’ War. After an unfortunate fire in 1964, the chateau was rebuilt for the needs of the museum aimed at the history of the mother-of-pearl and button production.
The most valuable sight of the chateau of Žirovnice is undoubtedly the frescoes from the year 1490, which are considered to be, in terms of size, the largest in the Czech Republic.
Hunting lodge of Jemčina
The place was first occupied by the stud farm (from the mid 17th century) of the Slavata family, the owners of the domain of Jindřichův Hradec. The construction of the hunting lodge was carried out in the 1st half of the 18th century, after the design of the Prague Baroque architect and builder Anselm Lurago. Under Jan Rudolf Černín, in the late 18th century, the chateau of Jemčina acquired considerable renown. Attended by the representatives of the Czech and Austrian aristocracy, famous hunts were held here, and Jemčina was visited by scholars and scientists from among the Czech revivalists. Hunts at the hunting lodge of Jemčina inspired, among others, the author Alois Jirásek while writing the story “Záhořanský hon”.
Monastery by Nová Bystřice
About 4 km from Nová Bystřice (in the present village of Klášter, i.e. Monastery), Konrád Krajíř of Krajek founded a monastery for the Paulan Order in 1501. It was built at a place where three healing springs come together. In 1533, it was looted and burnt down by the Anabaptists, and the abandoned complex was renewed as late as 1626. In the late 17th century, the monastery was joined by the building of the Baroque Holy Trinity Church. In 1785 the monastery was abolished upon the order of Josef II and in the 20th century the deteriorated building was pulled down. However, the majestic church remains preserved and ranks among South Bohemia’s most important Baroque monuments.
Rope-making Museum at Deštná
It was founded in 1998 in the former rope-making workshop of the Klika family, who worked in the rope-making trade for nearly 250 years. The guided tour includes demonstrations of the original production from various materials and various procedures of both the rope maker’s and weaver’s and draper’s trades.
Valley of Jindřiš
The nicest and most romantic stretch of the Hamerský Brook is between the villages of Blažejov and Jindřiš, with giant rocks, boulder streams, scree woodlands and cascading stretches of the brook. Small remnants of Vítkův hrádek (Vítek’s Castle) from the 13th century have survived behind the village on a headland above the brook.
It is the highest point of the Bohemian Canada in the region of Jindřichův Hradec. The hill (738 m) is situated about 5 km south of Kunžak and about 25 km southeast of Jindřichův Hradec. In the past, the hill was the intersection point of the borders of Bohemia, Moravia and Austria. There was a lookout tower here between the years 1860 and 1890 that served as an important point of the land-survey network. Until now, there is a bricked trigonometric pillar standing here.